I’m buying a new car. What do I need to do about my auto insurance?
Congratulations on your big purchase!
Here’s what you need to know about your car insurance after you purchase your brand new (or new to you!) vehicle:
- DO NOT rely on the car dealership to call your insurance agent to get your new vehicle on your policy. Call your insurance agent yourself to let them know. We’ve unfortunately talked to many people who are driving around with no insurance because they relied on the dealership to call the agent and they didn’t. Don’t risk it. Call your agent yourself.
- If you can, notify your agent in advance of your upcoming purchase. They can get your insurance ready for you and explain any new coverage options and let you know how your premium might change.
- If you end up making an impulse buy, notify your agent of your new car ASAP. Typically, your current auto insurance will cover a new car purchase for just a short period of time. This will be at the same level of coverage as your vehicle on your current policy.
- Gather the right information. Make sure to have your new vehicle’s year, make, model, and VIN plus contact information for any lender or leasing company available when you call your agent.
- Adding a new car to your policy is a great time to make sure that your auto coverage is top-notch. Are there new discounts you could take advantage of? Are there additional coverages you should add to your policy to protect you and your new vehicle? A great insurance agent will examine this for you.
If you live in Virginia and are looking for car insurance, Holley Insurance makes the process of finding the best company and price easy.
Call our office at 540-334-4225 or head over to our quotes page to get started.
A little more about Holley Insurance…
Holley Insurance was founded in 2000, and retains a core base of loyal clients. We have locations in Roanoke, Rocky Mount, and Forest, VA. As an independent insurance agency, Holley Insurance represents a carefully selected group of financially strong, reputable insurance companies. Therefore, we are able to offer you the best coverage at the most competitive price. Holley Insurance was named “Top Insurance Broker in Southwest Virginia” by Virginia Living Magazine for 2021. If you’re interested in starting a quote online or having us take a look at your current policies, click here!