10 Safety Tips for Pool Owners
- There’s no greater feeling than being able to relax in your own pool on a hot summer day. Owning a pool has a lot of perks, but it can also come with a lot of danger – especially if you frequently have guests in your pool. Ahead of summer, here are 10 pool safety tips that everyone with a pool should know.
10 Safety Tips for Pool Owners:
- ABSOLUTELY utilize pool safety covers, door alarms, locks and gates when your pool is not in use. Not sure which kind to use? Check out this helpful guide.
- Never allow a child to swim alone. No matter how great of a swimmer they might be, accidents happen. Children should never be left unattended by or in a pool.
- Be careful with pool floats. If you have a pool full of people and pool floats, it can get crowded and it’s easy to miss that a child might be trapped underneath one of the large floats.
- Small children who cannot swim should have a life saving device on them at all times, whether they are in or out of the pool. It takes two seconds for a child to jump into the pool, forgetting that they don’t know how to swim.
- As soon as you hear thunder, it’s time to get out of the pool.
- Never leave pool toys in the pool when you aren’t using it. Toys in the pool are deadly temptations for toddlers who want to try to reach in and grab them.
- Store pool chemicals safely away from the pool area.
- Assign a “Water Watcher” during every pool party. Take turns being the adult that has their eyes glued to the water. Make sure it is clear who is the watcher at all times. So many accidents happen with a pool full of adults, but who all assumed someone else was paying attention to the kids.
- Keep rescue equipment right next to the pool.
- Do not place anything near your fence that could aid in climbing over the fence.
Another big tip for pool owners is to have an umbrella insurance policy!
While your homeowners insurance will most likely cover damage to your pool, another aspect that you have to think of is your liability. We know that there is an increased risk of injuries and death when you have a pool.
If an accident were to happen in your pool and you were sued, would you be able to afford that?
An umbrella policy kicks in when your other forms of insurance (home, auto, etc) have been exhausted. When it comes to an unexpected, high-cost claim, an umbrella policy can be a financial life-saver.
We hope that you never have to use an umbrella policy, but as a pool owner, there’s extra risk that you will. Umbrella policies can increase your protection significantly, for a relatively small amount of money. We promise that the cost of an umbrella policy is severely outweighed by the benefit they give you if you need it.
Let us take a look at your current homeowners policy and your coverage. We can put together a no-obligation umbrella proposal for you too. Contact us here or give us a call. We’d love to help you enjoy your summer in your pool, worry-free.
A little more about Holley Insurance…
Holley Insurance was founded in 2000, and retains a core base of loyal clients. We have locations in Roanoke, Rocky Mount, and Forest, VA. As an independent insurance agency, Holley Insurance represents a carefully selected group of financially strong, reputable insurance companies. Therefore, we are able to offer you the best coverage at the most competitive price. Holley Insurance was named “Top Insurance Broker in Southwest Virginia” by Virginia Living Magazine for 2021. If you’re interested in starting a quote online or having us take a look at your current policies, click here!