Wondering what to do if you have a claim? We’re here to help!
Unfortunately accidents happen. If you’ve made the decision to file a claim, here are some steps to walk you through some of the most common types of claims. Remember – not all accidents will warrant filing a claim. If you’re unsure, check out this other blog post from Holley Insurance (or give your insurance advisor a call and get their advice!).
Car Accident Insurance Claim:
- Check for injuries. Your first priority should always be ensuring that your passengers and anyone else involved in the accident are safe.
- Call 911 and report the accident. Request medical help if it’s needed.
- Collect the following information from the scene of the accident: names, addresses, and phone numbers of any injured parties PLUS the owners of any damaged property and witnesses. You’ll also want to grab the make, model, license number and insurance company for all involved vehicles.
- Take pictures which capture the location and scene of the accident and any damages.
- Contact your insurance agent to report the loss.
Home Insurance Claim:
- The most important thing is that you stay safe. Do not enter the home if it is not safe to do so. Everyone should evacuate the home if it is unsafe.
- Call the police and immediately report any theft or vandelism.
- If needed, call your utility companies right away to report leaking gas or downed power lines. If you can safely do so, shut off your water, electricity and/or gas supply.
- Take tons of pictures of the damage.
- Contact your insurance agent to start the claims process started.
- Help prevent any addtional damage (if it is safe to do so). This could include covering a damaged roof or salvaging valuables from water damage.
- Be sure to save your receipts so your insurance company can reimubrse you (if approved).
Will filing a claim increase my insurance?
Whether or not your insurance increases after filing a claim depends on a couple of things:
- Your insurance carrier
- The circumstances surrounding the accident
- Who was at fault in the accident
- Your accident and claims history
As you can tell, there are a lot of factors that are in play when you have an accident. Your first stop before filing a claim should always be to call your insurance advisor. They’ll be able to guide you through the best choice for your specific information.
Have more questions about claims? Check out this blog post: What Your Insurance Agent Wants You to Know About Having a Claim or contact our team of experts here.
A little more about Holley Insurance…
Holley Insurance was founded in 2000, and retains a core base of loyal clients. We have locations in Roanoke, Rocky Mount, and Forest, VA. As an independent insurance agency, Holley Insurance represents a carefully selected group of financially strong, reputable insurance companies. Therefore, we are able to offer you the best coverage at the most competitive price. Holley Insurance was named “Top Insurance Broker in Southwest Virginia” by Virginia Living Magazine for 2021. If you’re interested in starting a quote online or having us take a look at your current policies, click here!